Late last year I got a tip from a reader that there was a Smokywood vendor in a neutral city, eliminating the need for kamikaze shopping. So my first mission today was to verify this vendor and confirm that she had the recipes. The good news is that she's still there this year. The bad news is that she only has one of the two recipes. I'm sorry Horde Tailors, you still have to do the suicide mission if you want the Red outfit :(
But Alliance players can get their hands on the Green recipe quite easily. Simply go to Shattrath City and track down the goblin vendor outside the Aldor bank. She will sell you the Horde version of the Winter Clothes recipe. If you're a completionist or just want the option to have/sell both versions of the outfit, this is the simplest way to take care of it.
On the other hand, there's a certain sense of accomplishment (and bragging rights?) that comes with getting this recipe the hard way. This is just my 2 copper, but the comments we've gotten in previous years on this mission show that players really enjoyed the challenge of doing this and had a lot of fun with it. So if you're open to the idea, I say give the cross-faction adventure a shot. You can always hit Shattrath if you aren't able to pull off the heist.
For those willing to take the plunge, here's my list of tips:
- Use the Wondervolt Machine in your home city to disguise yourself before you head out!
- Make sure you ride a faction-neutral mount within Horde zones
- Pick up some Invisibility Potions or Free Action Potions, just in case things get hairy
- Embark on your expedition during off-peak hours to minimize interference
- Choose a less populated city such as Thunder Bluff or Exodar
- If you die, corpse-rez on top of the vendor to avoid visual detection.
Thank you to reader "Raxx" for sharing this tip with us last year :)