Meanwhile, there's been a significant change to the Auction House which I thought many of you might not have heard about. Blizzard has changed up some of the rules that could affect your decision to dabble in Diablo 3. Here are the newly announced policies on the Auction House, straight off the Blue post:
- The gold auction house is once again available for testing
- The listing fee for all auctions has been removed
- The transaction fee for auctions in the currency-based auction house has been increased to 1.25 Beta Bucks
- The minimum listing price for an item in the currency-based auction house has been increased to 1.50 Beta Bucks
- Players may now only have 10 active auctions per auction house
- Tooltips have been added which will allow players to compare items on the auction house to the items they're currently wearing
The items I think our players will be most interested in are the 3rd and 5th items. There will be a transaction fee of 1.25 "Beta Bucks" on each real money transaction and a minimum listing price of 1.5 "Beta Bucks". At this time there is no hard information on the exchange rate of Beta Bucks versus actual dollars, but many are assuming a 1:1 ratio. This means it probably won't be worth listing low value items. The consensus is that this is intended to cut down on "junk" listings.
The second item that may cause concern for goblins is the hard limit of 10 active auctions per auction house. I believe the gold auction and the real money auction houses are being counted separately here, but that still would mean a total of 20 active auctions. I believe this will be another huge limiting factor to the "mass posting" style of auctioneering that is currently viable in WoW.
I felt it was important to share this information because I know a good number of folks in our community are eyeing Diablo 3 specifically for the purpose of playing the auction market. These changes could greatly affect your interest in Diablo, so I think it's worth keeping an eye on this before you drop $50+ on a new game.
Feel free to discuss in the Comments!